Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Symptoms And Timing

In regard to heart valve disease, there are symptoms and there are SYMPTOMS. The signs I have I've ignored for four years are difficulty with hills and steps, occasionally getting winded, palpitations, etc. Last year I mentioned some of this stuff to my cardio and he responded "you're 58, you're getting older, and you've put on 20 pounds." Well, I figured, I guess I'm guilty! Seriously though, I don't get dizzy and I have not fainted, which are the classic "severe" category symptoms that lead directly to the OR.

So, is it time for surgery?

Here's one fellow's story as posted on heartvalvereplacement.com:


I had a murmur detected at about 13 years old. I remember AORTIC REGURG. being used as well as slightly enlarged. Then I was told "SOMEDAY" I would need AVR.That was 30 years ago. FF to April 08 when I was NOT OK'd for a police job because of SEVERE AS/AR. An echo said the area was 1,2cm2 but could be less. A cath said it was really .8-.9cm and I was handed a card for a surgeon and told I have an appointment. SOMEDAY was 07-09-08. I thought I was not symptomatic but I guess I really was. I'm NOT in that bad of shape to be "HUFFING AND PUFFING" on the hills I was walking up. Heck, I'm only 43! I had an ON-X Aortic Valve put in and, while I am not at any ball games, I do feel LOTS better. I started back to work yesterday and although I am not out chasing bad guys, I am back. I feel a bit more normal each day. It won't be long till I an 110%. That's about it. Don'twait too long. I hear that the best results come before patients are symptomatic.

No comments: