Saturday, December 13, 2008

Nearsightedness..Ah Ha!

This is from the Bicuspid Aortic Valve Foundation:

Bicuspid aortic valve disease is more than a bicuspid aortic valve... Not everything is understood today, but enough is known to identify several major characteristics of this condition. BAVD includes the following:• Bicuspid aortic valve• Thoracic aortic dilation, aneurysm, or dissection• Labile hypertension (high blood pressure which changes quickly with stress or exercise)It may also include:• Mitral valve leakage• Coarctation of the aorta• Kidney or liver cysts• Near-sighted vision• Musculoskeletal degenerative changes (scoliosis, degenerative spinal discs, flexible joints, flat feet, etc.)• Aneurysm of smaller arteries, including head vessels (berry aneurysms)Not everyone has all of the listed characteristics. However, those diagnosed with a bicuspid aortic valve, who may have wondered why they also have high blood pressure, a leaking mitral valve, or poor eye sight, will recognize themselves in the definition above.

Well, that helps explain my nearsightedness. I've worn glasses becuase I am nearsighted since I was a child. I'm also struggling to keep my blood pressure at safe levels, and of course, I have the aneurysm. I'm grateful that I don't have any of the other characteristics and I hope I don't develop them.

No comments: