Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Surgery This Week For A New Friend

I've made a new friend, Scott, who lives with his partner Bryan in Austin, Texas. Unfortunately, Scott has to undergo his second open heart surgery in just a few years. This is because he has BAV disease, and during his first surgery only his aortic valve was replaced. As is often the case with BAV disease, Scott has a dilated aorta and root that has now to be corrected. This should have been addressed by the surgeon at the time he had his valve replaced. We're all pulling for Scott as he undergoes surgery this Thursday. Scott is writing a blog which you can read here.

Scott's situation makes it very clear to me that I must have my aortic aneurysm addressed at the same time my bicuspid valve is replaced. I'm sure that this will be the battle plan that my surgeon will suggest on January 6.

No comments: