Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Labile Hypertension

According to the Bicuspid Aortic Foundation's web site:

The majority of those with BAVD have labile hypertension. Often their blood pressure goes up quickly under stress or when exercising.

I've noticed this phenomenon for some time now. My systolic pressure (the top number) goes way up if I go up steps or get stressed, like at the doctor's office. It makes it more difficult to get accurate measurements of what my resting blood pressure actually is. But that really makes no difference, because the goal is to reduce the blood pressure number both at rest and under exercise and stress so as to protect the aorta. That's why blood pressure management is so important in the treatment of bicuspid valve disease. I take my blood pressure two or three times a day. It's higher than recommended for people with BAV disease, so I'm sure I'll be placed on blood pressure medication before long.

No comments: