Thursday, December 11, 2008

Good Information About Aneurysm Surgery

Here's an important study that applies to my situation exactly. It focuses on the prospects for patients with aortic aneurysms who have AVR surgery (that's me!):

CONCLUSION: Although the clinical course of patients with a dilated ascending aorta is unpredictable, aortic events may occur even in patients with a baseline aortic diameter of less than 50mm. Therefore, preventative aortic surgery at the time of AVR should be considered to prevent aortic dissection or rupture in patients with an even slightly dilated ascending aorta with a diameter of 40 to 50 mm, unless the patient has a high operative risk or older age.

Well, my aorta is at 43mm. So if the surgeon decides it's time to do an AVR, this would indicate that he would also do aortic surgery at the same time. This is actually a relief to me - to find this abstract. That's because I don't want to have AVR one year, then have to come back later for another round of OHS! Or worse, to suffer through an emergency or die from an aortic emergency.

I doubt I'll have to argue the point with the surgeon. However, I need to understand my situation, know what I want done in terms of management, and be prepared with questions.

No comments: