Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Aspirin Therapy And Colonoscopy/Polypectomy

Yesterday it was time for my once every five years colonoscopy. Part of the prep instructions was for me to stop taking aspirin a week before the procedure. I had one polyp, which was removed, but now I was told that I cannot resume my aspirin therapy for another week over concern about bleeding.

However, According to the American Institute Of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy guidelines, it was really not necessary for me to stop aspirin therapy:

Aspirin and other NSAIDs in patients undergoing elective endoscopic procedures Aspirin and most NSAIDs inhibit platelet cyclooxygenase resulting in suppression of thromboxane A2-dependent platelet aggregation. Limited published data, however, suggest that aspirin and other NSAIDs in standard doses do not increase the risk of
significant bleeding after EGD with biopsy, colonoscopy with biopsy, polypectomy or biliary sphincterotomy.


So I guess my doctor is just being over cautious. I like him and have a lot of confidence in him. But I'm aware that not all gastroenterologists may be up to speed on these sorts of issues.

No comments: