Wednesday, January 7, 2015

We Have Game Plan For Surgery!

This afternoon Dan and I met with a surgeon at the Temple University Heart and Cardiovascular Center in Philadelphia. This surgeon was recommended by my cardiologist. This was my second surgical opinion. I did some research on the surgeon I met with today and I was impressed with his credentials. Our meeting was intense, with a bombshell surprise: I would need a Bentall procedure, involving composite graft replacement of the aortic valve, aortic root and ascending aorta, with re-implantation of the coronary arteries into the graft. This complex and long operation is used to treat combined aortic valve and ascending aorta disease, which I have, apparently. This treatment plan was radically different from the first opinion that I got on Monday, where the surgeon suggested that my aneurysm did not need to be replaced, let alone the aortic root. The first surgeon wanted to do an isolated replacement of the aortic valve via a mini-sternotomy, and agreed to address my aortic aneurysm only after I insisted. The second surgeon today indicated that the valve and aorta needed replacement from the outset. The first surgeon suggested the need for circulatory arrest during the procedure, but the surgeon today stated that this would not be necessary. I find it interesting and a bit troubling that such divergent therapies can be suggested for the same pathology. But in fairness the first surgeon stated that he preferred a conservative approach. Today the second opinion surgeon seemed to want to correct as much as possible during open heart surgery. I come down firmly with the latter approach. I want the valve and the aneurysm taken care of, and if the aortic root needs replacement then so be it. Get it done. Therefore, I have opted to go with the approach outlined by today's surgeon and I have scheduled my procedure for February 16.

No comments: