Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Committed To A Tissue Valve

I had a valuable exchange of emails with my surgeon, Dr. Wheatley in regard to the choice of valve prosthesis for my aortic valve replacement. Dr. Wheatley is confident that, if I were to need another replacement in the future, it will be possible to to have it done via the new trans-catheter (TAVR) method. So, while it remains a gamble on the future against the possibility of having to undergo another open heart procedure, this seems to be a reasonable course for me to follow. The other option, selecting a mechanical valve combined with the need for lifelong anti-coagulation therapy, has faded as a viable option in my mind. With about two and a half weeks until my surgery date, I am becoming sanguine about my situation.

No comments: