Sunday, January 18, 2009

Aspirin Therapy

I started tasking a daily coated aspirin on January 15th as suggested by my surgeon. I've never taken a daily aspirin before, only one a week, but I never had any reaction to aspirin like stomach discomfort. The coated aspirin is supposed to be easier on the stomach so I don't anticipate any problems.

I'm not exactly sure what taking a daily aspirin is supposed to do for me. The literature that came with the aspirin bottle shows a little graphic of blood flowing through an artery with platelets shown as less likely to clog a narrowing. So I suppose with a narrowed aortic valve, the aspirin would make clot formation there less likely. Or, perhaps the surgeon felt that I should be taking it just in case I have coronary artery disease. In any event, with a history of stroke on my mother's side of the family, it's probably a good idea for me to take aspirin.

2 comments:

WPBNYC and Anything Else said...

I've been given a blood thinner for migraine Jim and this has prevented them. I have had maybe one or two since I started taking the meds. Migraines have been linked to stroke and so this is preventative and an innovative way to prevent the possibility of them. FYI.

Unknown said...

Jim,
I started taking Bayer 81 MG coated aspirin daily a few months after valve surgery, 18 years ago. My Cart recommended it.
Thanks for your post on walking on the heart forum.