Sunday, March 21, 2010

Vacation Fun


We went on a one week cruise to the Caribbean recently. I had the opportunity to do some snorkeling and underwater photography, which I really enjoy. Swimming and snorkeling in the sometimes choppy ocean gives you a workout. So far I have not noticed any difficulty in doing this sort of activity. The only signs I have of valve disease continue to be the palpitations and throat tightness I sometimes experience. I also wake up many times after a night's sleep actually feeling tired. It's like my heart gets no rest even at night fighting against the stenosis. I guess this situation will continue this way for the forseeable future.

3 comments:

Flea said...

HI Jim, sorry to read about your condition. I wish you all the best.

Unknown said...

Jim,

I also have BAVD and was diagnosed in September 2009 with pulmonary venous hypertension.

Most cardilogists I've met don't understand the critical nature of BAVD.

Your aorta size caught my attention. In someone with an ordinary aortic valve, your numbers would be fine. However, BAVD patients have weaker aortas and can rupture at an earlier size.


Have you ever visited the Bicuspid Aortic Foundation website? www.bicuspidfoundation.com has a great deal of useful information and wonderful support.

I hope you continue to do well.

Jonna

Jim Kelly-Evans said...

Thanks for the best wishes, Flea. Jonna, yes, I have visited the Bicuspid Foundation web site. I've been learning about the relationship between BAV and connective tissue disorders. This is on reason why I actually went to see a renowned surgeon at the University of Pennsylvania. So I am seeing a cardiologist he recommended and we're on top of the situation I believe. Thanks for your comments.

Jim